Monday, December 27, 2010

Another Baby!

I've been remiss in writing my latest birth story.  A couple of weeks ago, our December mama went into labor - one day after her due date.  This is the couple's first baby, and they were so well-prepared.  I got the call about 6:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning....of course 2 of the 3 births I've been to recently are on Sunday's - not the most convenient for Nolan - but he's a trooper!  Anyway, I headed out shortly after that call as the mama's contractions were coming pretty close together, and I had a 3 hour drive ahead of me.  I drove the speed limit, and as is my custom, prayed for mama and baby and midwife for most of the drive.  About a mile from my destination, the midwife called to see where I was and to tell me mama was complete and ready to push.  I thought to myself, "well, won't this work out just perfectly.  I'll help with the birth, get things cleaned up and still make it back for our church staff Christmas outing to the Nutcracker."  That's what I get for thinking that birth is predictable.

So, I walk in, say a quick hello, change into scrubs, get oriented by the midwife, and begin to offer labor support.  I was able to really lend a helping hand with labor support.  And between the midwife, dad, mom, and me - we made one heck of a team through an extremely long pushing phase.  Mom was a champ; I really don't think I could have given that much effort for as long as she did.  Dad was great - offering continual praise and anything else mom needed.  And, the midwife was awesome - offering different ideas/techniques and alternating between active pushing and getting mom to rest and recuperate with small drinks and snacks.  We changed positions.  We changed locations.  We prayed.  And through it all the entire team remained calm and committed.  And most importantly the babies vital signs remained strong!  Finally, after trying everything to get baby to finish his debut, the difficult decision to cut an episiotomy was made.

Now, let me take a short side-track here.  This was the first episiotomy my midwife has performed in 90 births.  Episiotomies do not need to be routine.  But occasionally, they are helpful.  And this was one of those rare times.

And, baby was out with the next push.  And, then I had my first experience with a "scary birth".  Every midwife I've talked to says in order to know if you are cut out for this kind of work, you need to see a scary birth.  It's a question I've asked myself many times - and many of my friends/family have asked me - what do you do IF.  Well, I came face to face with some of those IFs that day.

Several of my "what ifs" became reality.  And, by the grace of God - And, because of a professional, trained midwife watching the warning signs - And, because of a calm team - And, because of the grace of God.  Scary turned out okay.  Both mama and baby were transferred to a nearby hospital for observation.  It was the right thing to do.  And, I'm glad I work with a midwife who is secure enough to do the right thing.  Both mama and baby were released the next morning and are doing beautifully.

I am constantly humbled by the thought of what could happen.  It's almost enough to cause me turn from this calling.  But, I truly believe this is the path God has for me; and to bow to fear would not be right.  I pray that God will give me wisdom.  I pray that God will grant my mamas and babies (and myself) protection.  I pray that He will never give me more than I can handle.  And I leave myself there.

2 comments:

Sara said...

The best place to leave it - God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a SOUND MIND.

Leigh Anne said...

Ok.....this post was really a "cliff-hanger" for me. :) When you were talking about "scary birth", I was just sooo wondering what happened. I'm sure you can't share all the details on your blog so I'll just leave well enough alone. Just wanted you to know that the wheels in my mind were turning waaaay too much after reading your post....haha! I really do love a good birth story, so I've been enjoying you posting your updates as the ladies you've been following deliver. Loveya!