Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of School

Today was Caleb and Isaac's first day of school. Caleb is going to kindergarten, and Isaac is in Pre-K. Caleb reminded me that this is his 3rd year of school - it's true and kind of sad - although he loves school. Also, he'll be in kindergarten this year at a private school and then we'll do kindergarten again next year at public school - because he's so young for his class. So when my kid finishes kindergarten he'll have been in school 5 years. There is definitely something wrong with that. But, my options were a babysitter where he would sit in front of the tv all morning, or Pre-K/Kindergarten. Did I choose right? I hope so - yet another of many parenting decisions where there is no clear cut answer.

When I dropped the boys off for school this morning, I was reminded again of how different each of my children are. Both were excited and so big carrying their backpacks and other school supplies - each equally excited about the new year. We took Caleb to his class first. He went in and didn't even make it to his seat before he was talking up a storm with anyone who would listen. One mom wanted to take a picture of her son's table (including Caleb) but he was to busy talking to pause and smile. The mom looked at me and said, he'll stop talking eventually. I replied - probably not.

Isaac was a different story. He was fine until we got in the middle of the crowd of parents and kids. His entire face changed - he "blanked out" on us. He did not want to go in his class. When we went in, he didn't want to sit in his chair or play with his puzzle (which is one of his favorite things to do). I've got to hand it to him though. He worriedly asked when we would pick him up - we assured him we'd pick him up before lunch - and he went to work on his puzzle.

I'll find out this afternoon how the day went. It's amazing how many more prayers you fit into your day when you're seeking the Lord on your kids behalf. :)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Hey Friend, congratulations on Baby #4! I don't think you are crazy. =) I read all about your home birth recently and was very impressed with the process. Are you going to have Baby #4 at home?

We are enjoying parenthood and life in Iowa, of all places. I have looked at your blog several times, thanks to Leigh Ann who commented on mine and let me know you had one too! Blogging is such a fun way to keep up with friends far away. I'm thankful for it.

Can't wait to read more about Baby and keep up with your family!

Much love,
nicole