Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Doula

I'm taking a class this weekend in Oklahoma City - a Doula training course.

What the heck is a doula?
A doula is a person who supports a woman in labor. The doula is trained in comfort measures, stages of labor, positions for labor, the 3 Rs - rhythm, relaxation and ritual - which are helpful in labor. She also helps a couple, or single woman, prepare a birth plan, she provides extra support for the woman's partner, she helps you communicate with the caregivers (like doctors, nurses, midwives, etc) if necessary. A doula can also be certified as a postpartum doula. She then helps the woman/couple transition at home. She helps with breastfeeding, sleeping, newborn questions and can even do light housework and cooking. (For more info. see the "doula" link above.)


I signed up for the course primarily to supplement my midwifery training. In order to prepare for the class I've read two books, "The Birth Partner" and "Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn". I wish I would have read them before I had my four kids! I would definitely recommend them if you are expecting.

Deciding to pursue midwifery training has launched a range of emotions in me. One of those emotions is the possibility of letting down my husband and/or kids. Fortunately, Nolan and I have a strong marriage. He is supportive of my dreams, but we've also agreed to take this one step at a time and be on the lookout for things that would not be good for our family. So, I guess I'm viewing this weekend as the first kind of "test" of that commitment.

In case you are wondering, I've submitted my application for the Introduction to Midwifery class at the Ancient Art of Midwifery Institute. I should hear something in the next few weeks. Check out the link for more info on this class and the school.

2 comments:

Linsay said...

When I gave birth to Mason, we barely made it to the hospital (arrived at 12:00 a.m., Mason delivered at 12:24a.m.). I had fast labors with all my children. There was a nurse there that night that was like an angel. She had these beautiful eyes and such a calming, gentle voice. . .She helped me alot because I had become fearful on the way to the hospital that we would not make it there and the pain became immense because of the tension in my muscles. One thing I know is that birth is more painful when you are fearful and if you can relax and meditate on scripture, your pain can be managable.
Salem, I think you would be awesome at this! What a wonderful thing you are doing!

Salem said...

Thanks Linsay! I'm so glad there was an angel nurse there to help you.