Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June Update

I just got home from running a few errands, and I took a quick inventory of my van. One blown-up, yellow baby floatie in the passenger seat; a small, blue plastic dinosaur - triceratops, I think; a child's Dallas Cowboy's jersey; a Bob the Builder fleece toboggan; and one black batting glove. Those are just the things I could see from my seat - and they are all still in the van - even though I really should have brought them in and put them away. Come to think of it, tomorrow would be a great day to teach my kids how to clean out the van.

Summer will officially be here on Monday, but traditionally I consider the first warm days of May to suffice. This year, however, I'm late. I'm not sure why. May was colder than usual, so the weekend barbecues didn't happen. And, our schedule was interrupted by a few out-of-the-norm events. Maybe those things put me behind. All I know is that I really hope to get in the groove because I really enjoy summer, and I'm afraid I'm going to miss it before I really get into it.

Nolan performed his second wedding on the 5th of June. Two of our youth group kids grew up and got married. What a privilege to have had such an important role in their lives. And, thanks to technology, we get to continue our friendship with them even though miles now separate us. In the same wedding, Isaac made his debut as a ring bearer. He took his job very seriously. Dressed in tuxedo, shiny shoes and cuff links in our hotel room, he made note of how handsome he looked and practiced keeping his eyes on the bride as Nolan and I (pretending to be the bride) jumped around the hotel room to see if he could stay focused. After the wedding, he mentioned that the flower girls were being pretty nice to him and he was being pretty nice to them. After all, he "figured he'd marry one of them someday." At the dance following the wedding, Caleb and Isaac showcased a few dance moves that we've never seen before. What fun memories!

My mom and I took a quick trip to New Mexico to celebrate our birthdays (a few days early). I'm blessed to count my mom among my closest friends. I hope to share that same relationship with Willow when she's grown.

This morning I was about to put Willow down for a nap when Benjamin (age 2) said, "Mama, no nap for Willow, I loves her." Melt my heart! (But Willow took a nap just the same.)

Midwifery study continues. It's quite overwhelming, and I'm having still having trouble trying to balance study and family. Nolan is a jewel allowing me most evenings to bury my nose in a book - and then proceed to tell him what I've learned about vaginal breech birth or placentas or breastfeeding - you get the idea.

What a blessed life I lead!

2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

What a sweet post! Sounds like you all have been busy but maybe the lazy days of summer will visit soon.
Talked to Brandi yesterday and was catching her up on your midwifery studies as your name came up in the convo (it was all good, trust me ;). She didn't know that you decided to persue it but she'd prayed for direction for you. I felt like I was so exicted when I was telling her - like I was doing it - ha/ha!! Just excited for you - think it is AWESOME!
And totally priceless that you have a husband who will listen to your midwifery musings :)
Many blessings to yall and belated happy b-day!

Elise Hurst said...

Hahahaha the last paragraph made me choke on my coffee! That's so funny! I was so excited Isaac finally came out and danced! I loved dancing with both Isaac and Caleb (: I Miss you guys!