Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Missed Birth and a Wreck

Crazy day on Tuesday.  Our second January mama (who was a week and a half overdue) started labor.  I knew it could be fast as she was already dilated to a four and this was her third baby.  So, I started to Amarillo at the first sign of labor, which really wasn't much - just some occasional back pain.  I got half way there (an hour down the road, for those of you not from 'round here) and turned around after I heard things had subsided.  I arrived home and about thirty minutes later got another text saying contractions were strong, but not terrible, and about four minutes apart.  So once again, I got in the car and this time made it 3/4 of the way, when things stopped again.  Normally, I may have continued on to Amarillo to stay with my brother and sister-in-law, but we had our twice-a-month Life Group that night and if I hurried I would just be a little late.  (As you can tell, I love this group!)  So, I started home again.

Just a little ways down the road, I was driving along when a shadow passed over my car.  I thought to myself, is someone passing me?  But the shadow was moving in the wrong direction.  So I glanced in my rear view mirror, and what do I see?  A car - upside-down - flying through the air - nearly landing on my back bumper.  It was sundown and the sun was behind me, so this entire scene was silhouetted.  I didn't see the car coming - and I was on a divided highway, so it must of come across the ditch.  I didn't see the car land.  And, I didn't hear any crash sounds.  It was very surreal.  I immediately grabbed my phone and dialed 911 - which was a first for me.  I kept driving as I wasn't sure of the traffic situation behind me.  My adrenaline was pumping and I could hardly find the words I needed for the 911 operator - but somehow I communicated what needed to be told.  Then I turned around and went back to the scene to give a statement and offer help if needed.  Two troopers and an ambulance raced past me arriving before I did.  Soon there were three ambulances, two fire trucks, several police vehicles, a couple of witnesses and lots of gawkers.  Miraculously, no one was seriously injured.  The car landed upside-down on the other side of a four-lane divided highway!  God deserves a big "Praise God"!

On my way back to the wreck (about 5 miles) I wondered to myself if I hadn't invented the whole thing.  It was that surreal.  I thought to myself, am I under some kind of stress that I'm not recognizing that would cause me to invent a story like this?  What if we keep driving and never find this wreck.  I found these thoughts quite puzzling.  Obviously, they weren't true.  There really was an accident.  But I still find those thoughts disconcerting.

While I waited to give a statement (which I ended up not having to do, as there was a witness who actually saw everything happen), I called Nolan and cried.  Then I drove home.  And was about an hour later to Life Group than I intended.

Later that evening when we got home, another text.  The mama's water had broken and contractions were immediately a minute apart.  I was wiped, but I got back in the car to set out once again.  A short time later my midwife called saying this mama was going fast.  We decided there was no way I could make it - so I turned around and went home.  Thankful for my warm bed, but disappointed to miss another birth.  One thing about midwifery in the U.S. is the close relationships you develop with your clients - and to miss the birth is turning out to be really disappointing.  I hope this doesn't become a habit! 

By the way, this mama delivered a sweet baby girl about 30 minutes after her water broke - the midwife only made there about 15 minutes before the birth.

That was my crazy Tuesday.

No comments: