Monday, July 14, 2008

Ignorance is bliss?

The other day I had a conversation with a pregnant friend of mine about vitamins. Her doctor put her on iron pills for anemia. I proceeded to tell her about the new iron pills I had discovered with my last pregnancy - the absorbable iron pills that cost $20 a bottle at the health food store (versus the regular $2 a bottle iron pills from Wal-Mart). My midwife had recommended them. She had also told me how to test a vitamin to see if it was actually being absorbed by your body - put it in a glass of room-temp water for 10 minutes - if it starts to dissolve, it works. So anyway, after this conversation where I told my friend every vitamin fact that I know - and totally confused the poor girl - I wondered if I should have just kept my mouth shut. After all, pregnancy is overwhelming enough without second-guessing your vitamins.

I've always believed you're responsible for what you know - usually I apply this to my Christian walk. You know, God teaches us a new concept or lesson, and thereafter we are held accountable for that knowledge. So, does it work that way with other stuff - like vitamins? Do Wal-Mart vitamins work - until you are "enlightened" about the "real" vitamins? It's kind of like the old "if a tree falls in a forest and there's nobody around to here it"....scenario.

Anyway, I'll continue taking my $20 a bottle vitamins just in case - and I MAY keep my mouth shut next time.

No comments: