Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Neighborhood Kids

A few days ago I was talking to my mom on the phone, when like every mother of young children, I had to interrupt the phone conversation with several mini-conversations with the children in my care. This particular day, in addition to my own brood, the neighborhood kids were also playing in my yard.

Mom had been listening to me call out instructions to each of the kids and laughed again at something that has been funny to us for several years now...

"Jeremiah, take that dog home. He's scaring Benjamin."
pause....
Abraham, you are going to have to help your brother.
Caleb, can you and Isaac please make sure little Nehemiah doesn't get in the way.

Seriously, we have half the Old Testament represented on our block. Willow is the only one who doesn't evoke thoughts of camels and donkeys and old cities and deserts. But rest assured, she's got her place too - check out Isaiah, he says, "Children are a heritage from the Lord, like Willow trees planted by streams of water."

I wonder if I would fit in with the Old Testament mamas.

No comments: