Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Well Behaved Women

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

I first saw this quote on a bracelet that my mom was wearing. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to think of it. When I think of women who aren't behaving, history-makers aren't exactly what come to mind.

Fast-forward a year and I'm looking over a midwifery school website and lo and behold what do I see, "Well behaved women seldom make history" attributed to Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Pulitzer Prize winner, Author: "A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard based on her diary 1785-1812.

I am definitely okay with keeping company with these kinds of history makers!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I love this saying. Many women made history, and many more should have, because they didn't conform to the what was considered mainstream behavior...and yet what they did made the world a better place. In innumerable instances the "misbehavior" became the new mainstream because it was a positive improvement. Happy to know to whom to attribute these wise words! You are an exemplary example. Good girl!