Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Running?

Nolan and I went to the big centennial celebration at WT this past weekend. And so enjoyed catching up with several friends. It's amazing how you can jump right back in with people you haven't seen in a decade.

At the football game we sat with some friends who we've kept in better contact with, but haven't seen in almost a year. Somehow our conversation turned to running. Nolan was a runner in high school and can still run further/faster than I ever dreamed of. I have only tried running once in my life. After the birth of my third baby, I decided to try running to shed a few pounds. I was doing well - running fairly consistently for a couple months, when I began to get dizzy on my runs. For me dizziness is a sure sign of pregnancy.

Sure enough, the test came back positive, and the dizziness kept me from returning to running. After the birth of baby #4, I considered running again, but somehow I now associated running with getting pregnant - and you couldn't pay me to start back up. I seriously had issues!

A few weeks ago, I convinced myself to try again. But lacking motivation, it didn't last long. All that to say, our friends convinced us to run a 5K with them on Thanksgiving morning - so now I have the motivation. I seriously doubt that I'll be in race shape by Thanksgiving, but I guess I'll be closer than I would have been without the motivation. Tonight, training day two, I ran a full mile without stopping - and continued a walk/jog combo for almost 2 more miles.

**Let me add this disclaimer - when I say "run" it is relative. There are probably a lot of people who could walk faster than I run.

No comments: